Friday 4 February 2011

Problems with personal pronouns

Problems with personal pronouns
Remember that personal pronouns are small words that you can use to replace a person or thing, when you have already talked about them.

e.g. Barry loves Nathalie. He (Barry) is always buying her (Nathalie) presents.

Singular or plural?

  • The singular (talking about 1 thing) personal pronouns are:
    I / me . he / him . she / her . it . you
  • The plural (talking about more than 1) personal pronouns are:
    we / us . they / them . you
Singular personal pronouns are used to replace singular nouns (one person or thing).
Plural personal pronouns are used to replace plural nouns (many people or things).
NOTE - 'You' can be used to replace one person or many people, it is both singular and plural.

Should it be 'I' or 'me'?

These personal pronouns are often used in the wrong place. Think about whether the personal pronoun is the subject or the object.
Is it 'I' doing something or 'me' being acted upon?
e.g. John and I are going there.
Please give the money to me.
A good trick for working out which one to use is to say the sentence to yourself with the other person taken out.
e.g. John and I are going to the cinema.
Take out 'John' and what do you get? You get 'I am going to the cinema' - which is right. If you said 'Me are going to the cinema' you can hear that it is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment