Saturday 9 October 2010

Professional Saudi abaya designers criticize copycat newbies

Professional Saudi abaya designers criticize copycat newbies




By RIMA AL-MUKHTAR, LIFE.STYLE@ARABNEWS.COM
With the Kingdom seeing an upsurge in young abaya designers, many of the more established ones have few words of praise for them; instead they criticize them for using cheap fabric, copying their styles and selling garments at expensive prices.
“These so-called new designers do not last long in this field; their productivity and quality goes down because of a lack of knowledge and experience,” said Muna Abulfaraj, an established Saudi fashion designer.
“I believe one doesn’t need to study fashion design to enter this field. A person, however, should have knowledge of it and be familiar with tailoring so they can supervise their tailors and ensure the quality of their products,” she said.
“Fashion designers need to be talented to come up with collection after collection without the customer becoming bored of what that designer is offering. It is only the professionals who can offer that,” said Abulfaraj.
Many of the more established abaya designers feel the new kids on the block are simply copying their designs and they won’t be successful because of this. “I found a woman on Facebook who is copying my designs and saying so as well. This bothered me a lot because I spend a lot of time and effort on every single piece I produce. To then, find a girl who copies me and who has a cheaper taste is very frustrating,” said Hanaa Samman.
“I don’t think such people will last long because designing is very hard and people know it. You can’t lie to customers,” she said. “There is copyright everywhere in the world, but not here. Anyone can copy and that does not help the market or established designers,” she added.
Many of the new abaya designers tend to be fashion students, something that explains their lack of experience and knowledge. “Design has always been my passion. I studied fashion design at a college in Jeddah. While I was studying, I started designing abayas and selling them from home,” said Anoud, a fashion design student.
“I am unique in my designs and ensure all my fabrics are purchased in Dubai. My customers know that I spend money on quality to produce quality… I haven’t graduated yet and I don’t have a license to open a boutique so I’m practicing for fun and to gain experience until I graduate,” she said.
“I usually go to an Indian tailor to sew the abayas. This is because I get huge orders and have very little time to work on them. Of course I have to pay the tailor and bear the other costs to ship fabric into the Kingdom. At the end,  and after all this fuss, I’m left with very little money,” said Anoud.
Most new designers see making abayas as fun and imitate other established designers, who they say they look at for inspiration. “Designing is easy for me. All that I do is surf the Internet and look for evening dresses for ideas. I always find inspiration in a bow and then I begin sketching. I haven’t even studied design, it’s just a hobby for me,” said Samya Mohammed.
“I only face problems when I want to get a visa for a certain tailor or an assistant. I filed in papers for a visa months ago and nothing has happened yet. That leaves me with no alternative but to drive all the way to an Indian tailor … I pay him as soon as he submits the collection,” she said.
“I usually sell at bazaars and from my house because I lack the money to rent a shop; of course this is a huge problem I’m facing and my customers are bothered by it,” she said.
According to Maran Nasser, fashion designers don’t need to study. All that they need are the facilities and money to be successful fashion designers. “I did not study anything related to fashion and I’m not willing to because I know that I’m good at what I do. I sell abayas normally and people are always asking for more. My abayas are normally expensive because I know that whatever price I’ll ask for, people will buy no matter what?” said Nasser.
“I bought my fabric from a local fabric store for discounted price. They give me a discount because I buy in bulk from them. I then go next door to the tailor shop. I hand him sketches and he sews the abayas. Sometimes he rejects them claiming that it’s impossible to tailor such a design but I always push him and I get fabulous results all the time,” said Nasser.

No comments:

Post a Comment