Tuesday 10 August 2010

Possessive Adjective

Possessive Adjective
Definition: Possesive adjectives are used to show ownership or possession. The possessive adjectives are:


Subject pronoun Possessive adjective
I my
you your
he his
she her
it its
we our
they their
For example:

  • That's my folder.
    * " My" is an adjective which shows that I am the owner of the folder.
Notes:
A possessive adjective is similar or identical to a possessive pronoun; however, it is used as an adjective and modifies a noun or a noun phrase.
For example:
  • I can't complete my assignment because I don't have the textbook.
    * In this sentence, the possessive adjective "my" modifies the noun "assignment".
  • What is your phone number?
    * Here the possessive adjective "your" is used to modify the noun phrase "phone number"
  • The cat chased its ball down the stairs and into the backyard.
    * In this sentence, the possessive adjective "its" modifies "ball".

No comments:

Post a Comment